Wagoner Lawyer Blog 4 Posts Tagged 'divorce lawyers in Wagoner Oklahoma'

  • Scheduled for Child Custody Mediation in Wagoner County? Be Prepared

    Getting ready for child custody mediation involves preparing your case in much the same way as you would for trial. You must know all the issues involved on both sides and all the evidence that supports and refutes those issues. You must be ready to address all the issues clearly and concisely. Every case has strengths and weaknesses. You should know the strengths and weaknesses of your case and those of your ex’s case.

    Knowing what you can and cannot compromise on is a fundamental part of mediation, and it is important to know where those lines are. Otherwise, you will have a very difficult time coming to a settlement that you can live with. Discuss this fully with your Wagoner attorney before the mediation.

  • What You Need to Know About Qualified Domestic Relations Orders

    You may have heard the term QDRO without really understanding what it stands for or what it means. QDRO is an acronym for Qualified Domestic Relations Order. QDROs are a tool used in divorce cases that involve retirement and pension plan division between divorcing spouses.

    Qualified Domestic Relations Orders are highly technical. If you have questions about a QDRO and whether that is applicable in your case, bring your questions and concerns to an experienced Wagoner divorce attorney. We are here to help.

  • Wagoner County Divorce: What is Separate Property?

    How property is characterized at the time of a divorce makes a big difference in terms of how that property is treated during the divorce. In Oklahoma, property can either be marital or separate property during a divorce.

    Marital property is everything that a couple has acquired during their marriage. This includes tangible items such as cash, investments, homes, cars, furniture, and the like. But it can also include some intangibles such as the goodwill that a business owned by the couple has generated over the years.

    Separate property is everything else. However, most property that you own as a married person is marital, not separate.

    Transmutation is the changing of how property is characterized under Oklahoma law. It is a legal construct. It allows property to be converted from one type to another.

    If you have questions about your particular circumstances, bring them to an experienced Wagoner divorce attorney. Your attorney can help you understand your situation and what options may be available to you.

  • In Wagoner County, How Can I Get Full Custody of My Child?

    Custody can be full or joint. In joint custody cases, both parents take equal responsibility for their child. In full custody cases, one parent takes on much more responsibility for the child. Full custody can include physical and legal aspects.

    Physical aspects revolve around where the child lives and with whom. Legal aspects revolve around who makes major decisions regarding the child. These include medical and educational decisions. 

    You must ask the court for full custody in either the petition or response to the petition. Most of the time, when one parent asks for full custody, a battle ensues.

    This whole process can seem overwhelming if you try to handle this on your own. It is better to have legal help. An experienced child custody attorney can help guide you, draft court documents, and help the judge understand your position clearly.