Wagoner Lawyer Blog What Happens When Someone Refuses to Pay Child Support in Wagoner?

child support in WagonerEvery parent, whether single, married, or divorced, must pay some type of child support in Wagoner, Oklahoma. Not only is this a moral obligation, but also a legal obligation.

Oklahoma courts strive to make divorce less painful for the children involved. One way in which courts do this is to order and enforce child support payments. This allows children to continue to live a similar lifestyle once parents divorce.

Most parents take this obligation seriously, but sometimes a parent refuses to pay child support. All too often, parents take their anger at their spouse out on the children.

Deflecting anger in this way can cause a child to suffer unnecessarily. There are things that can be done to collect back child support and to encourage a reluctant parent to pay child support.

The Centralized Child Support Registry May Help

The Centralized Child Support Registry may be able to help. Oklahoma uses a wage assignment to handle the payment of support payments. Wage assignments can be used in a number of situations to collect money owed to another. The amount owed can be withheld for a parent’s paycheck by a debtor’s employer.

In the case of a child support order, a couple can elect to use wage assignment to handle support payments. If a parent refuses to pay, the Registry can help enforce payment against the non-paying parent. Okla. Stat. tit. 43 § 413

However, like many government agencies, the Registry is often backlogged and it may take a long time for the registry to take action on your case.

Moving Out of State is No Escape

Parents cannot avoid paying child support by moving out of Oklahoma. Nonpayment of child support remains a primary reason why children nationwide receive public assistance and welfare.

Both states and the federal government allow enforcement of child support orders across state lines through the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). The child support enforcement program is a joint federal and state effort to collect child support from absent parents.

The agency can help find an absent parent, garnish the parent’s wages, and intercept federal and state tax returns.

In addition, the Oklahoma Child Support Enforcement Division has access to federal resources that help them find and enforce a child support order against an absent parent.

For Quick Relief, Hire an Attorney

Hiring an experienced Wagoner child support enforcement attorney may provide you with quicker relief. Your attorney can help in a number of ways, including:

  • Getting a Lien Against Property: This allows you to sell the non-paying parent’s property in order to pay back child support owed.
  • Revocation of License: A non-paying parent’s driver’s license, business, or other professional license can be revoked. Okla. Stat. tit. 43 § 139.1
  • Contempt of Court: Failure to pay child support is a crime. A court can find the non-paying parent in contempt of court. The court can also levy fines or order the non-paying parent to spend time in jail.
  • Vehicle Registration: If you fail to pay child support, you may have your vehicle registration suspended.
  • Passport: Failure to pay child support may result in a denial of a passport.

Free Consultation: Wagoner Divorce Attorney

When your marriage plans unravel, get the best legal counsel available. Don’t go it alone. Get an experienced, reliable Wagoner divorce attorney on your side.

Call Wirth Law Office – Wagoner at 918-485-0335 today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.

Bookmark and Share