All states, including Oklahoma, have statutory grounds that are acceptable for a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.
Your choice of grounds for divorce in Wagoner will color the way your divorce is handled, both in court and between you and your spouse.
Grounds for Divorce Basics
Oklahoma lists both fault and no-fault (incompatibility) grounds as legally acceptable. The vast majority of divorces filed allege incompatibility as the grounds for divorce. This has a couple of advantages.
When you list incompatibility as the grounds for your divorce, you do not need to go into detail explaining to the court the reasons that your marriage fell apart. The statement alone is sufficient.
In addition, if you want the divorce and your spouse does not, alleging incompatibility will allow the divorce to proceed even if only one party wants the divorce.
Finally, because you don’t have to prove the incompatibility, the time and costs involved in the divorce proceeding are usually much less.
Fault Grounds for Divorce in Wagoner
You can allege a fault ground or grounds for divorce if you choose to. In alleging a fault ground for divorce, you will have the burden of proving that ground in court.
Here are all the grounds for divorce that are recognized in Oklahoma:
- Abandonment for one year or longer.
- Wife impregnated by a man other than her husband.
- Extreme cruelty.
- Fraudulent contract.
- Incompatibility. If children are involved, the parties must attend an educational program on the impact of divorce on children.
- Habitual drunkenness.
- Gross neglect of spousal duties.
- Imprisonment in a state or federal institution on a felony conviction at the time a divorce petition is filed.
- Obtaining a divorce decree from another state that does not release you from divorce in the state of Oklahoma.
- Insanity for five years or more.
Okla. Stat. tit. 43 § 101
Free Consultation: Wagoner Divorce Attorney
When your marriage plans unravel, get the best legal counsel available. Don’t go it alone. Get an experienced, reliable Wagoner divorce attorney on your side.
Call Wirth Law Office – Wagoner at 918-485-0335 today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.