Wagoner Lawyer BlogCategory: Family Law

53 Articles:
  • In Oklahoma, Does a Domestic Violence Conviction Make You an Unfit Parent?

    Being deemed an unfit parent has ramifications affecting a parent’s ability to be with their children. When one parent is determined to be “unfit,” the other parent is usually granted custody of the child. An unfit parent is believed to create an unsafe living situation for a child.

    Under Oklahoma law, custody, guardianship, or visitation will not be granted if doing so will likely expose the child to a foreseeable risk of material harm.

    Oklahoma family law courts are required by law to consider evidence of domestic violence and abuse including allegations and convictions in custody, guardianship, and visitation cases.

    A conviction within the past five years creates a rebuttable presumption that it is not in the best interests of the child for the convicted parent to have custody. Evidence can be introduced to rebut and overcome a presumption.

    Supervised visitation is always an option and one you should pursue while handling the ramifications of a conviction. Try to always have continuing contact with your child. It is important to everyone. It also shows the court that you are willing to continue to pursue all avenues available to you.

    Before you agree to any plea deal, make sure you understand the possible ramifications. If you have already been convicted, there may still be things you can do. An experienced Wagoner child custody attorney can give you advice tailored to your specific situation.

  • How Can I Block Visitation If I Suspect Child Abuse or Neglect?

    Suspecting that your child is being abused or neglected by your ex can be one of the most stressful things that a parent can face. During a divorce and for some time after, emotions are raw and tender. We need to know and believe that our children are safe with our ex during visitation.

    But if you begin to suspect that your child is actively being abused, neglected, or placed at risk, there are things you can and should do as a parent, including asking the court to block visitation.

    A parent who suspects that their child is at risk with their ex must file a motion with the court. Visitation may be blocked if the parent, acting reasonably and in good faith, believes that the child is at risk or is actively being harmed by the other parent. The belief must be supported by fact.

    Your Wagoner family law attorney can make sure that the motion is clear and concise, accurate, and contains the necessary supporting documentation. Get the help you need to protect your child.

  • What To Do When You Are Paying Child Support but Not Allowed Visitation

    You may find yourself in a situation in which you are paying child support but not allowed visitation. These two issues can seem like a single issue to the parent paying support. Emotionally, it is difficult to pay support for a child that you long to see but cannot.

    But legally, child support and visitation are separate issues. There are things you can do if you are paying child support but not allowed visitation. It helps to understand what the issues are and what you want out of a situation. In all cases, it is helpful to get the help of a Wagoner family law attorney in solving the problem.

    The first thing you want to do is enforce any court orders already in place regarding visitation.

    If you already have a visitation order issued by the court, you can seek a contempt citation. This is a quasi-criminal proceeding.

    If you have no orders in place to establish your visitation rights, you will need to get court orders in place. So, if your child was born out of wedlock, you will need to establish paternity and then ask the court for visitation rights. These are two separate proceedings before the court.

    Wirth Law Office – Wagoner offers its clients the best possible child custody and visitation representation in the Wagoner, Oklahoma area at reasonable rates. If you or someone you know is involved in a child custody issue or visitation dispute in the Wagoner, Oklahoma area, the Wagoner child custody attorneys at Wirth Law Office  -Wagoner invite you to schedule a free consultation to discuss what they can do for you.

  • In Wagoner County, When Do Women Have to Pay Child Support?

    Just like there are times men must pay child support, there are times that women pay child support, as well. Child support payments are based not on gender but on relative income and how much time the parent spends with the child. The amount of time spent with the child is based on whether the parents have joint custody or whether one parent is the custodial parent and the other parent has visitation rights.

    A family law attorney from Wirth Law Office – Wagoner can help you understand your specific circumstances and how they could affect child support.

    Oklahoma looks to the total number of overnights that a child spends with a parent in terms of deciding child support. Because the child is with the father most of the time, he is likely spending more on the child. As such, the mother would owe child support.

    Child support can be a complicated issue with numerous factors that a court may consider. It is also an obligation that will be with you until a child is at least 18 years old. Bring your questions and concerns to an experienced Wagoner child support attorney today.

  • Can Wagoner County Courts Award Alimony to Men?

    In Oklahoma, spousal support or alimony is determined by the judge without reference to a set calculator or guidelines. Instead, judges have wide discretion in terms of awarding spousal support to both men and women as part of a divorce. Here is what you need to know about alimony given to men in Oklahoma.

    There are two basic criteria for alimony in Oklahoma. The spouse requesting it must demonstrate a need for it, and the other spouse must have the ability to pay it. Alimony can be temporary, rehabilitative, or permanent, depending on need and ability to pay.

    A Wagoner family law attorney from Wirth Law Office can help you determine if your specific circumstances may make you eligible for alimony from your ex-wife. 

  • Scheduled for Child Custody Mediation in Wagoner County? Be Prepared

    Getting ready for child custody mediation involves preparing your case in much the same way as you would for trial. You must know all the issues involved on both sides and all the evidence that supports and refutes those issues. You must be ready to address all the issues clearly and concisely. Every case has strengths and weaknesses. You should know the strengths and weaknesses of your case and those of your ex’s case.

    Knowing what you can and cannot compromise on is a fundamental part of mediation, and it is important to know where those lines are. Otherwise, you will have a very difficult time coming to a settlement that you can live with. Discuss this fully with your Wagoner attorney before the mediation.

  • Can I Prepay My Wagoner County Child Support?

    You have cash now and worry about whether you will have it in the future, so you think it might be a good idea to prepay your child support. That way, it is done and you will be off the hook for a bit. You would think this was a good idea. But there are reasons not to prepay child support. Here are some things for you to think about before you prepay child support. You can also bring your questions to a skilled family law attorney at Wirth Law Office – Wagoner. 

  • Why is There No Upper Limit to Wagoner County Child Support?

    In Oklahoma, child support guidelines top out at $15,000 a month in parental income for each parent. But that does not mean that child support is capped at that amount.

    The judge doesn’t seek so much to make the incomes similar between the two parents as to minimize the impact of the disparity on the child. This can help a child feel more secure after a breakup.

    For parental incomes above $15,000 monthly for each parent, a separate hearing will have to take place. The court will hear evidence and testimony regarding income and proposed child support. As long as income keeps rising, child support payments most likely will as well.

    Understanding the needs of the child can go a long way to understanding the lack of a cap on support. In all cases, the support is meant to benefit the child, not the ex-spouse. If you have questions or concerns about this issue, bring them to an experienced Wagoner child support attorney.

  • Where Do I File My Divorce if I Live in Wagoner County?

    Filing for divorce in Oklahoma requires filing a Petition for Divorce and Dissolution of Marriage. The person who actually files the divorce petition has some choices about when and where to file for divorce. That can be an advantage. Choosing jurisdiction means that you can often file where it is easiest for you. A family law attorney from Wirth Law Office – Wagoner can help you with any questions you have. 

  • Understanding the Wagoner County Legal Separation Petition

    Understanding what a legal separation is and what it does can help a couple decide which is better for their particular circumstances. Learn more here about a legal separation petition and what it entails. You can also talk to an experienced family law attorney at Wirth Law Office – Wagoner. 

    There are times when a couple should seek a separation rather than a divorce. Some couples just need breathing room and some time apart before working on the relationship again. Other couples may have concrete financial reasons to stay legally married.

    In order for a petition for legal separation to be granted, all issues regarding the division of property and debts, all child and spousal support, and all issues regarding custody and visitation must be agreed upon. The spouses must enter into an agreement with regard to all of these issues.