Wagoner Lawyer Blog 2 Posts Tagged 'family law lawyers in Wagoner Oklahoma'

  • Why is There No Upper Limit to Wagoner County Child Support?

    In Oklahoma, child support guidelines top out at $15,000 a month in parental income for each parent. But that does not mean that child support is capped at that amount.

    The judge doesn’t seek so much to make the incomes similar between the two parents as to minimize the impact of the disparity on the child. This can help a child feel more secure after a breakup.

    For parental incomes above $15,000 monthly for each parent, a separate hearing will have to take place. The court will hear evidence and testimony regarding income and proposed child support. As long as income keeps rising, child support payments most likely will as well.

    Understanding the needs of the child can go a long way to understanding the lack of a cap on support. In all cases, the support is meant to benefit the child, not the ex-spouse. If you have questions or concerns about this issue, bring them to an experienced Wagoner child support attorney.

  • How Long Do I Have to Wait to Get Divorced in Wagoner County if I Have Children?

    If you are contemplating a divorce in Oklahoma, you may wonder how long you have to wait to get divorced once the paperwork is filed. Oklahoma has a waiting period for divorce.

    If you have no children, the waiting period is only 10 days from the day you file for divorce. If you have minor children of the marriage, the waiting period is 90 days. In all cases, the waiting period starts on the day you file for divorce.

    In reality, it often takes longer for couples to resolve all of their issues. That means it takes far longer than the 90-day wait to get divorced. It can take a long time to resolve all issues between a couple. Finalizing a divorce right after the 90-day wait is only likely if you can agree on everything early.

    If you want to understand what is best for your specific situation, get the help of an experienced Wagoner family law attorney.